So, it’s Tuesday, and after the success of Chapati Breakfast Wraps yesterday, we are continuing our week long experiment of non-cereal breakfasts. Today it’s the turn of the humble Cheese on Toast. This is a common British dish/snack and works perfectly for breakfast. It’s quick, easy and a good combination of protein and carbohydrate. It also uses only a few ingredients that you’ll already have in your kitchen, so it’s budget-friendly. There are several version of this dish, including its posh cousin, Welsh Rarebit, in which mustard is added to the cheddar cheese and made into a sauce, but we chose to use the easiest, simplest version for a weekday breakfast.
Cheese on Toast
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C/425°F
- Lightly butter a slice of bread
- Turn it over and place butter side down on a grill tray (this works better than a baking tray because air flows all around the bread, making it crispy rather than soggy.)
- Toast lightly on one side
- Place sliced cheese on buttered side of bread (I used cheddar, but experiment with whatever melting cheeses you like).
- Grill for 5 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbling with golden brown patches. If you’d like some extra flavour, add a dash of Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce on top when the cheese is just melted, before it gets to the golden brown stage.
The Verdict: Winner
The kids ate this without any fussing. It was easy to make and has enough variations that it should please most people, kids and adults alike. You could also make a health-conscious version using low-fat cheeses and add sliced tomatoes for even more nutrition.
Join me tomorrow for Day 3 of Yummy Weekday Breakfast Ideas (Hold the Cereal, Please) when Overnight Baked French Toast is on the menu.
See you tomorrow!